Sunday, February 16, 2014

Brownie Whoopie Pies


     Hello lovelies! So a lot had happened in the past two weeks. To start off with, I am officially 15! Yes, I turned 15 on the 4th. My mom had made me a homemade cake using my vanilla cake recipe. I just couldn't stop from putting imput when I was watching my mom make it. I almost had a heart attack when I saw her frosting techniques, it was so wrong! She was using the wrong spatulas for certain areas of it. But the cake came out cute and delicious. She was very proud of her product, and praised me because she said that was one of the hardest things she has done, and I do it all the time. Her creation is the picture on the right :)


    
     Valentines Day (or as I like to call, single awareness day) was 2 days ago, and I received more than enough chocolate. I don't know what to do with it all! I have way too much candy for once person, so I'll probably be using it for baking purposes :) Maybe some Kit Kat cookies? Dark chocolate Hershey brownies?



                                                                        

      These whoopie pies are just mouthwatering! The rich, chocolate flavor and sweet vanilla frosting just go together exquisitely. Each bite is just a burst of flavors, and the brownie cookies have little chocolate chunks inside that melt in your mouth. I'm almost drooling thinking about them right now. I completely recommend trying out these cuties, you will be amazed :) Well enough talking, lets get to this recipe!

*I adapted this recipe from The Blond Buckeye, but I did tweak a few things*
 Yield: 6-8 delicious whoopie pies

6 oz of semi sweet chocolate
6 oz of dark chocolate
4 tablespoons of butter
2 eggs
3/4 cups of sugar
1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste

Frosting:

4 cups of powdered sugar
3-4 tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
1/2 cup of butter


 

 1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper

2. Heat 6 oz. of dark chocolate and 4 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate in the saucepan on low heat. 
(You will use the other 2 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate later)

 3. Once the chocolate has melted, add in the butter.

4. Once everything is smooth and melted, and set the saucepan aside.

 5. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, mix together the eggs and sugar until the mixture is pale and fluffy (about 5-10 minutes)

 6. Slowly add in the baking powder and flour.

7. Next, add in the vanilla bean paste and melted chocolate-butter mixture.

8. Lastly, chop the 2 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate and mix it into the batter.

9. Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap and let the batter sit for about 10 minutes.

  10. Place the batter in a piping bag and pipe out the batter onto the baking sheets (each cookie should be 1 tablespoon) You may use a spoon if you do not have a piping bag. The batter gets hard quick, so make sure you have enough space for all of the cookies or else the batter will get too hard to use.

11. Bake the cookies for 9-13 minutes.

 12. Once the cookies have finished baking, let them cool on a cooling rack for 15-20 minutes.

 13. To make the frosting:


14. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream the butter until it is fluffy.

15. Slowly add in the powdered sugar, vanilla bean paste, and milk until the frosting is at a smooth and fluffy consistency.

16.Turn half of the cookies upside down. (so 7 cookies should be upside down)

17. Pipe the frosting onto the cookies that are upside down.

18. Place the other half of the cookies onto the cookies that are upside down (it should be like a sandwich, with the frosting in the middle and the cookies as the bread) You can keep them in the refrigerator so they can last longer. 

19. ENJOY the whoopie pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

2 comments:

  1. These are fantastic, I'm definitely going to have to try the recipe soon!

    Caroline xx

    www.cupcakesanddisasters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you enjoy making and eating them! They are so cute and fun!

      Amanda :)

      Delete