HAPPY HALLOWEEN LOVELIES!!!!!! I hope you all have an amazing and scary (in a fun way of course) night. I love Halloween, I mean it's an excuse to dress up crazy and creatively without getting looked at oddly, and I know that your costumes must be amazing! PLUS free candy, which means free chocolate. What could be better than that?? I wanted to do halloweeny things and get a costume and carve a pumpkin but I've been so busy I didn't get to do much, although hopefully I will be able to go to a haunted hayride later on tonight with my brother and a few friends!
I also did bake something for Halloween, but the picture above is only half of the cake. Before I even got to take the pictures, my mom had taken half of the cake so the full cake is the picture to my right which was taken at night and explains the off lighting. It is so delicious and another perfect autumn recipe. With a nice warm cup of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or warm apple cider, you will fall even more in love with this cake (if that's even possible).. The spices are intense, but not crazily intense, it's truly an amazing flavor. Topped with a but of vanilla glaze, this coffee cake is so cute and completely delicious while being quite simple to make! I did use make
pumpkin Puree which you can find the instructions here.
So this week, the Israeli students came to my school which is so exciting! I helped out at my schools Israeli cafe and attended it at the same time. I really loved it, and I think it's truly awesome my school does these exchanges because learning about different cultures is incredibly interesting. I will most likely attend more cafes, they're just so fun whilst being informational. It was just a really good way to end the school day today, because it;s something I am interested in (aside from baking of course!) WELL NOW ITS TIME TO START THE RECIPE
Yield: A perfect pumpkin spice coffee cake
*I used the recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction as a base, and I changed A TON of ingredients*
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/4 cup of butter, chopped into little pieces
1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
2 cups of all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
1/4 cup of milk (I used 1% milk)
1 cup of Pumpkin Puree (canned or homemade, I just love homemade better)
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
A dash of salt
5 1/2 to 6 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
4 to 5 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
2 cups of confectioners sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 8x8 square cake pan
2. In a medium sized bowl, toss together all of the dry ingredients and add in the chopped butter. Use a pastry blender or fork to work the mixture until it is crumbly and a teeny tiny bit sticky.
3. Set the bowl aside
4. In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients (except for the spices) well
5. In a seperate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (except for the vanilla extract)
6. Slowly pour in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and using a stand mixer or hand mixer, mix the batter until it is quite thick.
7. Now add in the spices and vanilla extract, mixing the batter until all ingredients are well incorporated.
8. Pour the batter into a 8x8 cake pan and coat the top of the batter with the crumb topping. Gently press down on the crumbs.
9. Bake the cake for 30 minutes, check if it is finished by pricking the cake with a toothpick. If the toothpick is dry, the cake is done. If it is a bit wet with batter, bake the cake for another 3 to 5 minutes.
10. Once the cake has finished baking, let it cool on a cooling rack for 25-35 minutes.
11. Carefully take the cake out and place it on a plate of your choice.
To make the Vanilla Glaze:
12. In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients until you get a creamy, smooth glaze.
13. Coat the cake with the glaze
14. Slice yourself a piece and ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!